Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I have been working in the shop on two sets of arched doors for a contractor in the Twin Cities. These, like so many of my projects, should have been done a month ago and once again, I am testing the patience of my clients. Hopefully in the end they will be happy with the product...

I have the doors themselves built and finished but the glass and trim are not installed yet. I have most of the trim made but not finished yet. The glass just came yesterday so I have that. Here are some pix of the doors after I got the final coat of finish on them:


The jams are formed now. I think sometimes there is more glue in these doors than wood. In an arched situation everything has to be in thin strips and glued up over a form. Here I have the final pieces glued in place on the second jam:
The outside layers you can see are the jam now in it's rough state. Plastic separates it from the form that I had to build when I started all this which is that whiter, wider part...

After the glue is dry, I use the form as a guide for the router, and with a flush cut bit I smooth the edges of the jam.  This is the end result of that:
Now I can remove it from the form and set the form aside. I think I am done with it...
The next step is to use the jam as a form for making the stops... So, more strips glued together on the inside of the jams. They will then retain that shape and become the stops for the doors. As of right now I have a little more of this to do today, but here is where I was at the end of the day yesterday: